Each year there are approximately 250,000 hospital admissions Australia-wide as a result of medication related problems. Having a Home Medicines Review can reduce the risks of this harm. Indeed, research conducted across Australia has consistently demonstrated that Home Medicines Reviews are an effective way to identify and resolve medicine-related problems and improve health outcomes.
The process involves your doctor and accredited pharmacist working as a team to ensure you are getting the best from your medicines, and answer any questions you may have about your treatment. This service is funded by the Australian Government and is free of charge.
Here are some good reasons for having a Home Medicines Review:
- You have recently been in hospital
- There have been significant changes to your medication regimen in the past three months
- You are taking high-risk medicines such as warfarin, apixaban, rivaroxaban etc.
- You would like to know if your medicines, including non-prescription medicines, can be taken together
- You are concerned that medicines might be causing side effects
- You are cared for by more than one doctor
- Your medication treatment regime is complex and you would like to be able to manage your medications better
- You may be caring for a person with cognitive, hearing, vision or dexterity problems on multiple medications
If you have concerns regarding your medicines, please call us to make appointment with our doctor for a Home Medicines Review.